Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Recycling crayons...

Starting yesterday, I have been giving my home a good once over. We have clutter galore and it has been slowly sending me batty. So I pulled out the big guns and actually said out loud...because you know if you say it out loud, you have to do it...."I'm going to clean this place up. Like really clean it up"
I started small, with the bathroom....which was a complete cop out really...virtually clutter free, I'm just not a cosmeticy/hairclippy/bathroomy clutter kinda gal. In my defense, an awul lot of scrubbing took place and now it sparkles in there....a little.
From one extreme to the other...today I am tackling the kitchen. Yes, it is 2.45pm and I am still going. Needless to say, the kitchen is home to an awful lot of our clutter. Well, that and I keep getting distracted and tackling other little spots here, there and everywhere.
Which, brings us to the purpose of this post....as I was clearing out the kids colouring drawers I came across a container full of crayons....mostly broken, grubby crayons that no one uses anymore. Rather than chuck them out I decided to have a go at melting them down and making newbies.....'twas easy as pie and Leigh thought it was just wonderful...

Pop all your broken pieces(you might need to cut some smaller) into an old muffin tin....

Fill about a third to a half full... Pop in oven( I had mine on about 160) for about 5-10 mins...keep an eye on them and take out as soon as they are melted....
Admire the swirled colours...stand on bench to cool a little then transfer to fridge to speed things up!
Once they are completely set turn them out onto a tea towel(so they don't break!) and once again admire your colourful creations...
Apparetnly they make great stacking blocks too...

And just incase you had forgotten about my three gorgeous littles, here they are watchin' telly together and munchin' on apples....love, love, love...especially those little stripey feet crossed at the ankles just so...

No comments:

Post a Comment